So My Walls Can Talk Part 1 ~ chalkboard wall

If they were to give out prizes of who had the dullest hallway, I would’ve won!
But….not anymore!
I have BIG plans for this hallway.  This is Part 1.
The making of a chalkboard wall.
The supplies & what to do are pretty self explanatory.  Btw, the chalkboard paint was bought @ Wal-Mart.  I think it was $8.97 for a quart.
Molding for my 8ft 9 in wall $14.66. {I did buy a thick molding.  I *heart* thick molding.}
A laser light is highly recommended along with painter’s tape.
I knew I wanted molding around the top of the chalkboard wall.  Some people don’t.  I just thought this might help them (my kids) “mentally” realize that they should stop drawing once they hit the molding…time will tell on that one.
Just in case you are wondering what that black thing is in pic#2 of the collage it’s the playpen – for a barricade.  It didn’t work – though.  In the pic #3 of the above collage – yep that’s me, cutting my molding @ Home Depot.  Loved that feeling it gave me, of “Doing it Myself.”
Here’s the finish look.  I L-O-V-E it!  I am giddy about this project.  This is where my 3 hang out.  I think alot of graffiti will take place here.  And that’s is a-okay by me!
 As you can see the playpen barricade didn’t work.  stinker.
Here she is with her first inaugural drawing.  Just had to do a Spring pennant banner!
Already so fun!
But this is how it will look most of the time. ;) As long as these 3 are happy, then I’m happy with any look their little creative souls want to make.  One never knows what kind of talent this may help produce.

Comments

That Cheif he’s so smart, black was the perfect color. I love it, it adds such personality to the hall, which is not easy to do. I am so glad we are friends and you are so creative and I can copy your idea’s. I hopee you guys stayed dry yesterday. Are you as ready as I am for some sun?

Have a great weekend,

Cha Cha

What a great idea … a chalk board that perfectly fits your wall! My kids (now grown) had a huge schoolhouse chalkboard in our hallway when they were little. It’s a great place for them to draw and doodle, and for Santa and the Easter Bunny to leave messages.
    … Connie

that’s perfect! ok, i was loving my photo wall in my hallway but now i’m thinking…..maybe i could do something like this. i definitely want to use chalkboard paint somewhere in my house. i’m just not sure where!

I’m always so nervous about chalkboard paint because of the chalk dust! I know that there are special markers for that, but I’m not 100% sold yet. Maybe when my little one gets bigger I might change my mind … great project though!

This looks so fun! And this is good information for me… We are getting ready to add wainscotting under the chair rails in the kitchen and I was wondering how we were going to get that cut… we have no tools!

You are a brave soul! I love the look! My 3 children would be in chalk heaven if we did something like that. And, the hallway is a pretty good space for them all to be contained. :) Good thinking!

I LOVE IT! Now I win the boring hallway award:-)

I bet that is so fun for you kids. Did you have texture on your wall?

For now forget about chalk I just give my kids the hard stuff…sharpies and pens. It’s awsome when they color all over everything and it won’t come out.haha

If I were smart I would copy your hallway darling.

I painted a chalkboard wall in my playroom last summer and my almost 3 year old LOVES it! I’m thinking about painting one in the kitchen too for grocery lists or more fun things ;)
    It looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my painted countertops post…seriously you should try it! It’s been almost a year with a dog jumping up on it, a toddler ‘helping’ in the kitchen and my almost everyday baking…it’s held up so amazingly well!! :)
    Thanks again for the lovely comment!!
    ~Kristi @ http://www.creativekristi.com

Love this! This is a GREAT idea. It is so cute!

I have a question, I saw one of your photos that you turned black and white but left the shirt pink.. I loved it and that is how I did my Christmas card this year but left little bits hat red.. I am trying to do his Easter card and am wanting to do it again but I paid Wolf Camera to do if for me last time and they say they can’t do it anymore.. yeah, don’t even get me started on my phone conversation with the nice man… anyway did you do it in picnik or do you have photoshop?

Appreciate your direction,

Jen

This post just brought me to tears! Precious little ones! And they are sooooooo cute at making their very own masterpieces! Please take some great pictures of them at work as they grow and put them in frames on the yellow part of the wall. Just the picture you posted is frame worthy!

Now for the project itself- it is just the most clever idea! The chalkboard is actually very pretty against the yellow wall and white trim. And it’s inaugural banner picture so fun! I love yellow. Most of my home is painted some color of yellow, or yellow is a major accent. It is wonderful to find another yellow lover! Your blog is so creative- I’ll follow you!
    Yvonne

I really like this idea! It looks great and it’s fun for the kids. I’m considering painting my cabinet doors with chalkboard paint, but I don’t know….

Frankly they can’t get any worse, so I don’t know why I hesitate.

-FringeGirl

OK So I’m going to figure out where and I am going to do this although my “baby” will ber 13 on friday and her bother my other “baby” is 11 they will LOVE it! Thanks for the inspiration! your yellow walls are gorgeous!
    luvs and glitter
    ~jen
    p.s. I’m having a giveaway stop by if you like :)

It looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! Do you have smooth walls? Ours are textured and I am not sure how well it would work on them. But I would love to do the same thing to our hallway! And dang girl 51 comments? Big time!

VERY COOL! I love how that looks and it’s so cute seeing your kids drawing on it. And funny that of course a kid manages to make a mess whenever there’s paint around! :)

Stopping by from Today’s Creative! Signed up to follow you! Stop on over when you get a chance http://juliechats.blogspot.com I’m always looking for a few more crafty followers!

I love this!! How creative. I just got the stuff to do it. So excited.

I do have a couple questions, though. Did you need more than 2 coats of paint? And how do you deal with all of the dust that falls? Is it getting all in your quarter round molding on the floor?

I just found your blog looking for fonts that show up really well on a chalkboard background and that post led to this one and now I am so loving your blog! I subscribed! Love it!

Especially this post! I am soooo doing this! My two kids would adore this! And honestly my husband and I could use it too! Also I have been itching to do some DIY projects and your sharing has shown me I can do it!

Love Love Love It!