Turn a printable into a poster for under $5! Plus my Christmas Mantel

This past weekend I finally found my mantel mojo.

I knew I wanted to do something with my Chalkboard printables, but I was torn on what to do.   You know, sometimes with pinterest & all the other fabulous blogs, I become maxed out on sensory overload.  Does anyone else share the same problem?  I tend to do better when I step away for a bit & come back with a wild plan!

Well, here’s hoping you aren’t sick of seeing these graphics again…

You can find my post with the printables or downloads for these chalkboard graphics right here.

I had heard awhile back that anyone can take an image to Staples & have it blown up into a poster size for very little money.  Well….I’m here to tell you, it is TRUE!  Below is a screen shot of me doing just that!  I loaded my Chalkboard printable (in the same size that is in my post of the chalkboard printables!) and had Staples use their BLUEPRINT paper & it was only $3.59!!!  Basically, I did everything online & I just picked it up in store when it was ready!  So easy.

Now, I do believe you can only use it for black & white photos, images or printables, but for $3.59 – I’m here to say that’s a HUGE bargain!  Pictured below is the beginning stages of my Christmas mantel.  See the poster size Chalkboard printable?  I just taped it to the wall, dear friends!  Yes, that simple.  If it was an image or a photo of the kids, I would have taken the time to mount it to foam core or something.  But since this is seasonal, I thought why not just tape it to the wall & put an empty frame over it?

(please excuse my real life dusty mantel, sheesh I should have paid closer attention.)

Anyways, moving on to the decor…

I’m thrilled with how everything turned out!  I am loving the Chalkboard printable above the mantel!  I can officially say, my Mantel MoJo has returned – {finally!!!!!!}

Comments

I’ll definitely have to use one of these! I’ve been skeptical about trying out the Staples thing for over a year now, but this is the perfect opportunity to just get it done. Thanks for sharing your experience and your LOVELY printables.

I just LOVE these printables! I’ve already done one but it’s great to know I can do a bigger one at Staples. I had to laugh when you made the comment about your “dirty” mantel! I’ve found many times that when I take closeup shots of things, and then go to upload them to my blog, the dirt shows that I never saw in real life! Those darned cameras.. just pick up too much detail! I wish I had some mantel mojo.. yours is very inspiring. Marilyn

lol! exactly! it’s amazing just how dusty my house gets. i say that, realizing i never dust my mantel until i redecorate it. those darn cameras! ;)

I love the mantel Kellie! It’s so pretty and stylish – and the tip on the poster is fabulous. I had no idea you could make one that cheap!
    (and I hope you don’t have a million of these comments – I had trouble getting it to go!)

4. Megan G. says

When I thought about printing out the (very creative!!) chalkboard printables at home, I realized how much black ink that would eat up!! :-O What an excellent alternative. Thanks for sharing! :)

Amen to printing at Staples. It’s so cheap, fast and my fav! Love these Chalkboard printables and the simplicity of the mantel. But can I just tell you that, your garland and Reindeer head are FABUOLOUS!!!! WOW!

Thanks for sharing the printables! They look so nice, just one problem, i have to find another way to blow it up and print it! (I’m living in the Netherlands and here we don’t have something like Staples…)
    Love our mantel too! I tried to decorated it with red and black fabric, some fake Christmas flowers and a lot of candles.
    But….. the fabric and flowers keeps falling down! No tape will hold everything together, haha.

• Wendy says

Ok Phew I thought I did something wrong!!! Thank you!
        Also can you tell me the name of the font you used for “No Place like home for the holidays” I love the that font that you used for Holidays!!!
        Thanks again…It’s so generous of you to share your printables!!

7. Lora says

I really wanted to do these as Christmas presents, but my Staples will not print them. I can do a 16×20 on the color printer. Have you run into this problem? should I just try a different Staples store?

• Lora says

I tried 2 different Staples stores and they both said that it would ruin the engineering machine. I did get the “color” copy made and it will work for what I need, especially since I am in crunch time, but I might try again later at another different store.

8. LinhC says

OK, I really have to go to Staples soon! Love the printables but cringed when I think about the ink I’d use up if I were to print them at home. Love the mantle. :)

9. sylvie z says

thanks so much for providing this info!!! i LOVE your printables! love your style and design! i just uploaded to staples and it was a success! woo-hoo!!! thanks again! :) this is exactly what i’ve been wanting to do for a very long time…..

10. Crafty Canuck says

Sadly in Canada, the poster project costs more like $15-$30 depending on the size you pick and we don’t have a choice for blueprinting in the online choices. I really wanted to do this but is a bit much for a quick craft especially if I have to find the frame and paint it. also :(

11. Kelly says

hi i need major help, I am dying to do one of these prints (there’s no place like home) and I can’t figure it out.. I am on staples site and i have the program up but there is no option for blueprints, there is one for Media and when I go there it gives me size options (letter, legal and ledger) these sizes don’t seem very big and I am now confused on what to do. Could you take a peak at Staples site and see if its its changed since you last used it. I am trying to make one the same size as yours, do u happen to know what size it is? I would love to be able to print it for $3.59 or at least no more than $7. Help, please :-(

12. Kelly says

ok I did this and got the size suggested but didn’t know that I would not be able to find a frame for it til i spent all day going to every store in town to only find that size is a special order :-( I tried to print it in an 18×24 praying I could fit it in an 16×20 which is the only size i could find in white that was decorative but it wont fit, I knew it would cut off a bit it cut off to much, plus the 18×24 printed out AWFUL, it had white lines all over it. I am about to give up but I want it so bad. I am thinking of printing this in a 16×20 enlarged print that comes on semi-gloss paper and will cost $5.00. Has any one printed it on semi-gloss or is everyone doing it on engineering paper only? I am kinda scared to chance it and lose more money, and the semi-gloss means its not gonna looks like a real chalkboard :-(

sorry you are having trouble finding a frame! that’s the hard part of it. i got lucky & found mine at goodwill. i don’t think a gloss will look like a chalkboard image. but that’s my opinion. i think it needs to me matte. but maybe someone else has had success & will chime in.

• Michelle says

Thank you Kellie for the beautiful downloads. I am ordering it right now. Do I need to select landscape or portrait for the “No place like home for the holidays” print?

13. Tammy says

These are brilliant and everyone who has been in my home is asking how I wrote it :-) Thank you for sharing! Any chance you’ll be posting everyday quotes, valentines, and just all holiday themes. I just love these! ~ Tammy

1. […] printable for my frame, and had it enlarged into a blueprint at Staples, like I did last year to my Christmas mantel & to my Fall mantel this year.  I wasn’t really sure if I should add the printable to […]

2. […] last year, and made my chalkboard graphic into a poster size using Staples Blueprint Paper.  (Head over here to see how I did it for only $4 dollars!)  I made 5 Fall Chalkboard printables a couple of weeks ago, and you can go & do the same as I […]