The easiest Strawberry Shortcake ~ ever!

World's easiest & best Strawberry Shortcake - EVER! Made with a cake mix but wait until you hear the homemade topping! So easy & so amazing! via Nest of Posies

For the record, during the months of July & August the only thing “on” in my kitchen is a fan.

I strategically avoid making anything in the oven anytime after noon.  I do all my baking in the morning, because I personally start melting around 12:14 everyday & for some strange reason the pool always needs my attention around 12:30 or so.  ;)

So my crockpot is always going & I typically have a “cool” dessert made & ready in the fridge by dinner time.  This Strawberry Shortcake is the easiest & I can almost guarantee the best you’ve ever tasted!

First you must know, it is served cold.  Which makes it even better during the hot, hazy & lazy(?) days of Summer.

Here’s what you’ll need:

CAKE:
a box of yellow cake mix (we use Ducan Hines)  make the cake according to the back of the box in a 13×9 inch baking dish

TOPPING:
2-3 pints of fresh strawberries sliced
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of Evaporated milk (I used PET milk)
4 Tablespoons (half stick) of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Fresh Picked Strawberries via Nest of Posies
While your cake is baking in the oven, cut & slice your strawberries & set aside.  When your cake is almost done baking combine your sugar, PET milk & butter in a sauce pan and heat to a boil.  Stirring & mixing together continually, add your vanilla right when the sauce start to come to a boil.  Allow your mixture to boil for 3 minutes.   Once your cake is out of the oven for about 5 minutes, place your sliced strawberries on top of the hot cake.  Then allow your heated sauce to cool slightly, about 5-7 minutes & pour your very warm/hot topping mixture over the strawberries that are on top of the cake.

(Basically everything happens quickly once you get your cake out of the oven.  You want a very warm sauce mixture on top of a very warm cake to allow the heat to soak in all that sauce goodness along with the juice of the strawberries.)

Cover & place in the refrigerator to cool overnite or you can serve if the cake has been in the fridge for several hours.  This is one of those recipes that the older it is the better it is.  – love that kind of recipe, don’t you?

best strawberry shortcake

The sauce molds around the sliced strawberries beautifully & the taste…oh. my. heavens!  So so good!

Linking with:

Tatertots and Jello, Tidy Mom, I Heart Naptime, Tip Junkie, Today’s Creative Blog, 30 Handmade Days, Home Stories A to Z

Comments

1. kiki says

Hi! The cake looks amazing! Definitely gonna give it a try! But one question, what is PET milk? Might be a dumb question, sorry! Lol!

sorry, my fault – i switched it in the post too – it’s evaporated milk. i’m used to calling it PET milk. that’s what we call evaporated milk in Tennessee. ;)

• Terri says

“Pet” is just a brand name of evaporated milk. Any store has its own generic name of evaporated milk

2. Brenda H. says

Would it be good to poke holes in the cake first to let the topping ooze down and incorporate with the cake?

3. Amanda says

I’m making this tonight, but mine doesn’t look the same as your picture. Yours looks like a custard and mine looks like a glaze. Does the look change overnight?

4. Charlie says

I am going to make this for my daughters “Strawberry Shortcake” birthday party this Saturday! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Hi! I am in LOVE with this recipe!! Ive made it about 4 times now, & it is delicious!! this last time I made it I made a batch & a half of the sauce mixture since that is my favorite part :) Thank you so much for sharing! Im your newest folllower…. And I’ve also just started a blog a few weeks ago… Stop by & check it out sometime http://www.togetherwegroh.blogspot.com. Thanks again :)

First of all I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick
    question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear
    your thoughts before writing. I have had difficulty clearing
    my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any recommendations or hints? Kudos!

7. lisa says

My topping didn’t look like yours…. It looks like a glaze, sugary. Can you tell me what I did wrong?

8. Cat says

Made this two nights ago. The sauce on top was not as thick as in the picture. I refrigerated it 24 hours. It was so moist. If you want a very solid cake, this is not the one. The pieces fell apart when cut, but that made it all the better! It was a great birthday cake for a good friend!

9. M.J. Jacobsen says

I made this cake last night, and it looks fab! I did poke holes in the cake so the sauce could ooze down. My sauce wasn’t thick, but the cake looks great anyway! I think if you want that thickness I would just use sweetened condensed milk. Can’t wait to try it tonight! Thanks for the recipe!