We bought a house!

Y’all. we bought a house!

I am so excited that I can finally share it with all of you.   So many things have taken place in the last couple of weeks, that has left my head spinning.  It’s been hard to focus on anything else.  The funny thing is, we weren’t really “looking” to buy a house.

It’s a foreclosure, and needs lots of work, elbow grease and TLC.  But as far as we are concerned (or know) this will be our forever home.

Front Door to our new house

It’s a 75 year old painted brick rancher.  It has 4 bedrooms & 3 baths, and it was truly love at first sight when I peeked in the window.
(Surely, you all do that too, when you see a house for sale, don’t you???  ;)  I’ll admit it – I’m a window peeker!)

we bought a house!

We had an inspection last week, and we are scheduled for a 30 day close!!!  Ohmygosh!
It needs a major cosmetic makeover in the most serious way in every.room.of.the.house!  Both inside & outside.
Like Elizabeth Arden and Estee Lauder would probably run away from this kind of cosmetic makeover!
It even needs some serious botox treatments – on a house kind of level!  It’s been vacant for around 3 years!

Our New Home

The lot is almost an acre up on Signal Mountain in Tennessee.  If you are familiar with that area than you probably know how beautiful it is up on Signal.  It’s a quiet, gorgeous, small Southern town that I can’t wait to live in.

The back yard and my Studio!!!

Here’s our new back yard.  That shed right over on the left will be my Studio/Office.  I cannot wait to get started on the house & my office.  The office has a little box window A/C unit, electricity and has all kinds of shelves & storage up on the second level of the shed.

The Sunroom and Pergola

This door leads to a sunroom that has been added to the original house in the past 10 years, we think.   These are the windows I peeked through about 3 weeks ago and immediately fell in love with the house.  We have looked on & off for houses up on here for the past 7 years, and that feeling of “love at first sight” has never happened to me other than the house we currently live in now.  So I kinda knew immediately when I peeked in these windows that it was meant to be.

I guess this verifies even more to me, that I am such a visual person.  I can see beyond all the leaves, the weird green on teal exterior, the landscaping that needs to be done, and all the other interior issues.

I can see it’s beauty.
I can see our family living here.
I can hear laughter, untold stories and am already anticipating all the memories that will be made within these walls.

Side view of Sunroom and Master

That window over there on the right…that’s the master bedroom.
May I pause for a moment & comment that our bedroom window is right there, not the kids’ rooms, OUR bedroom.  So if we want to stay up late outside & have a fire in the firepit we can.  Are you with me on this???
My husband & I can have adult conversations outside on our patio without worrying about waking up the kids.

We can’t even watch TV in our current home without waking up the kids!!!

pool

My oh My!!!  Do we ever have our work cut out for us.  That’s a built in pool.  I forgot to ask how deep it was, but I’m sure we’ll be finding out soon.  The structure on the left that you can barely see is the detached garage.

tree

We have land to play & run.  It’s all level.  We have trees, many many trees.  I have Dogwoods in every color, maple, oak, cedar and many more.

My very own Flowering Peach Tree

And I couldn’t believe my eyes, when I saw my most favorite Spring blooming tree of all.  A non bearing Peach tree.
Y’all it was meant to be.

It’s going to be A LOT of work & lots of trials, and elbow grease but I am so humble by how it has all come to pass.

God is so good.

For more posts about our new house click the links below:

The kitchen & sunroom/family room combo = my favorite room of the house!

Living, Dining & Master tour!

Let’s pin together!  Do you like to pin DIY, craft stuff, home stuff & yummy recipes???  Me too!
I also will be pinning all sort of renovation ideas along the way while we’re on this Remodel – Fixer Upper Journey!

Follow Nest of Posies on Pinterest

Follow Nest of Posies on Pinterest!

Comments

1. Rina says

Congratulations! I can hear the excitement in your voice as I read the description. It sounds like you were able to see the finished house while peeking thru the windows. I’m looking forward to seeing a full before, during and after as you progress thru the restorations and updating.

2. Julie says

Yes, God is so good! I’m very happy for you. Like you, when I saw our house I knew it was supposed to be mine! LOTS of hard work ( and more to do!) I still feel that way. Good luck!

3. Katherine Lee says

It’s amazing! I love it! The yard is wonderful…you have my favorite trees…dogwoods are so pretty…and all the hardwoods sound glorious…I love the cottage that will be your studio…and the back patio with all the windows and the arbor and the brick steps…wow…it is just going to be so nice…My goodness…it’s like a dream come true….made all the more loved because of all the hard work…I can’t believe one of our homes ten years after we bought it and landscaped it …..it’s unrecognizable…sadly we had to leave it because of work but someday I hope to have a home like it. You do projects so beautifully I know your home will be stunning…
    So many blessings! Yes!!

ohmygoodness, you are so kind! thank you. it has so much potential and luckily the inside is amazing as well. i will pray you will one day have a home and yard like you had before. thank you again for your sweet words.

4. Beckie says

I love Signal Mtn, except getting up there & getting back down! My cousin use to live on Signal Mtn, and I love visiting her. AND oh, the W-Road! The house looks like it has so many wonderful spots of lots of good family memories. Congratulations on your new home..
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

thank you so much, Beckie! It will take some getting used to for me as well going up/down the mountain. and i can honestly say, i have NO desire to ever drive the W road!!!

5. Susan M says

Congratulations! Our house was also a foreclosure and I knew as soon as we drove up that it was meant to be our home. Also looked in the windows since we couldn’t get in right away. We just celebrated 18 years here. I wish you as much love, laughter and good memories in your home as we have had in ours.

ooooo! thank you for your wish! I wish that too. And thank you for sharing your story. that is so encouraging. we are scared, I’m not going to lie because of the foreclosure & it being vacant for 3 years – but I’ve got to believe everything happens for a reason.

6. Jeannie D in TN says

Well I’d say you hit the JACKPOT! Beautiful trees, a pool, did I see a Hot Tub? And a Studio to boot…what more could a gal want? such a gorgeous place…congratulations!

thank you so much Jeannie! We are so excited. Yes, you saw a hot tub, but unfortunately since it’s been sitting vacant for 3+ years the motor has been stolen out of it along with the siding. so we will probably junk it. it will cost too much to repair. but really, that’s okay.

I love all the additional photos you’ve shared! Congratulations again my friend! It will be a fabulous home for years to come and I can’t wait to see you put your stamp on it! AND I can’t wait to visit next time we are in town! ;)

8. Krys says

Kellie~What a wonderful house and great stories that you are going to be able to share with us along the way!
    Congratulations I’ll be looking forward to them. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

I haven’t stopped by in a long time but have to say your new home sounds charming. There’s nothing like fixing up a home together with your spouse to create memories that will last a lifetime. It looks wonderful. May it be everything and more that you wished for. I can’t wait to see the before and after photos.

10. Argelia says

Thanks for sharing happy for you it makes me want to go there and help you with the makeover so you can start harvesting memories. God Bless

I am so excited for you!!! I know how it is, to fall in love at first sight. Even though we rent, that’s the way I felt – and still do – about this house we’re in.

I’m excited to watch the transformation. You’re kids will have such fun, making memories in that house, as will you, I’m sure.

And, of course, I’m excited to see which wall Maybelle will move to. :D xoxo Congrats!

Colleen!!! You are so sweet! I am excited & nervous as can be. But I know it’s meant to be. I am excited to see Maybelle on the walls as well. xo

Oh my, what timing! We are literally in the exact same situation. Had you not included pictures, I would have sworn that you were talking about our new house. We closed two weeks ago on a rancher with possibility – underneath of the grime, disrepair, and age, we see a property with ‘good bones’ and potential for days. We’ve gutted it (purely for aesthetic purpose) and are starting from scratch. I’m so excited that you’ll be going through this journey too as I’m positive I’ll be able to gather a ton of inspiration from you.

Congratulations and best wishes!!

HOW EXCITING!!!! I’m sure whatever you you do, your new house will be amazing!!! We can hold hands together & be each other’s support group! Good luck to you!!!

13. nadyne says

How exciting Kellie! Will you do any of the work before you move in or will it all be a work in progress. I have never been to Tennessee (except through the words of “Christy” in Cutter Gap. It looks like a a project that will give you some great material to share with us, while you make some new memories bringing the house back to life…you are just the girl for the job. :)
    Nadyne in Texas.

Nadyne, you are so kind! We will be doing some of the work before we move in. Like refinishing the floors & painting. My oldest has terrible allergies, so it is our hope to also get new duct work for our a/c heater system. Just to help him out *which in turn helps us as well* – but after those 3 major things, we will be moving in & having it be a work in progress. thank you so much!

1. […] into a DIY & professional Bathroom Remodel thanks to HomeAdvisor.   Most of you know that we bought a house, and we are trying to put our current house on the market.  All that was left to conquer was to […]